Monday, July 14, 2008

After Action Report: Atlanta Comic Convention, July '08

After Action Report: Atlanta Comic Convention July '08

Every 4 months or so, Atlanta is host to the Atlanta Comic Convention, a smallish, one-day show in the outskirts of the city. Honestly, I wasn't expecting much from this con. Their website is very 90's, the location wasn't exactly glamorous, and hey, its a one day show!

In this case, I'm very glad to be proven wrong. While the show really wasn't that large (it filled up a hotel ballroom) it had a large number of quality dealers. In fact, I found out about a new shop, called The Book Nook, not too far from my place. Their booth had a great selection, so I'm anxious to check them out.

Now, as far as my acquisitions...I got a TON of books. The great thing is, most of the dealers there had discount bins. I didn't buy a single issue for more than $.50! I was also shopping for ljacone, so he got some books out of the deal as well.

Marvel

Doctor Strange: Not much for the Sorcerer Supreme this time out, I found only a single issue, 87 of Vol. 3. The issues I need are all towards the end of the series, when print runs were small, so its going to be slow going from here.

ROM: Spaceknight: The Galadoran Gladiator was well represented at the show, I grabbed copies of issues 15, 16, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 29, 37, and 38. Unfortunately for me, I accidentally bought extra copies of issues 21 and 26. More free comics for ljacone, I suppose!

Moon Knight: I made a little progress in my quest to own every single Moon Knight book in existence. My acquisition of issues 3, 6, 8, 32, and 35 of vol. 2 and issues 1 and 2 of the Fist of Khonshu miniseries get me within a hairsbreadth of succeeding.

Defenders: I inched closer to completing my run on this series with issues 119 and 128. Unfortunately, all the issues I need to finish my run are from the first 15 issues, which cost a pretty penny no matter how you look at it. Luckily, those issues are covered by Essential Defenders vol.1, which I own. At least I can start reading the series right from the beginning now!

Submariner: Only two issues for Subbie, issue #3 of his 80's miniseries, plus 26 of his 90's ongoing.
DC

Kamandi: Man, considering he's the last boy on Earth, Kamandi sure does get around! I got issues 36, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 50, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, and 58 of his first series.

Jemm, Son of Saturn: In honor of poor, poor Martian Manhunter, I grabbed more issues starring the last member of his sister race, Jemm! Issues 1 and 4 were pruchased in tribute.

Blue Devil: Just one issue of Blue Devil this time, number 17. I could have sworn I got more, but I guess I was imagining things.

Firestorm: Not nearly as much Ronnie Raymond action at this show, but I did get a few things, namly issues 17, 31, 48, 59, and 60 of the second ongoing.

Who's Who: Wow, I never expected such a bounty of information! There were tons of issues of Who's Who running around for some reason. I got 1, 5, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 20, 22, and several issues of the later updates. Info ahoy!

Justice League: Curse you, Rob Kelly! I knew if I read your blog long enough I'd start buying Justice League. And buy I did. I got issues 218, 225, 227, 229, 233, 234, 235, 236, 242, and Annuals 1 and 2.

Random Stuff: Only a few utterly random issues found there way to me at the show. I got issues 6-11 of the Marvel Doctor Who series, which should be interesting. I picked up a couple random issues of the original Marvel Transformers as well. Who doesn't like giant robots?

And now, of course, we come to our favorite Emerald Archer, Green Arrow!

I got a ton of stuff for GA, although most of it was fairly recent.

Green Arrow vol. 2 (1988-1998): 78, 90, 99, 110, 111, 112, 115, 121, 131, 132, 135, 1000000 and Annuals 1 and 2.

I also grabbed Secret Origins #38, detailed the secret origins of both GA and Speedy.

And of course, there's the one that got away. As I was sitting down, looking through the $.50 bins at the Book Nook booth, someone came up and asked if they had a copy of Green Arrow 101 (where Ollie gets blowed up). They did. For cheap. I never thought to ask, and that was their only one. ::sigh::


Overall, the show was really impressive for a small, one day affair. I also had the pleasure to meet Scott, other wise known as New Fun #6 on the CGS forums, and his son (whose name I'm terribly rude in not remembering). They were great company, and I'm glad we finally got to meet!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice!!
Yay im going to begin trying to collect every issue ant-man has been in.
Hey do you know of any conventions in florida?
nice list btw

Rick L. Phillips said...

I will keep an eye out for Green Arrow 101 for you. Any others that you might want if I see them?