Monday, August 4, 2008

Quarter Bin Bonanza: Part 4

Quarter Bin Bonanza: Part 4

Well kids, the stars aligned once again for your truely to make the treck out into the comic buying wilderness known as the quarter bin. This time I was joined by fellow blogger Ljacone!

As Ljacone and his wife were staying at the Arrowcave for the weekend, we had a chance to go out hunting on Saturday. We ended up at the Lawrenceville location of Galactic Quest, which I'd been to before, but don't get to very much, and was a new experience for Ljacone.

The quarter bin hunting was pretty awesome, here's what I got:

Firestorm: I found about half a dozen issues of the second series I needed, which helps fill in some gaps. Unfortunately, the later issues seem to be really hard to find. A problem for another day I suppose. Issues 30, 33, 34, 45, and 53 found their way into my longboxes

Doctor Strange: Ljacone found 3 issues of the Sorcerer Supreme series in one of the boxes he was searchin through. This brings me within 5 issues of completing that run. I got 59, 60, and 62.

Defenders: Nothing in the bins this time, which is not at all surprising, since all the issues I need are within the first 15 issues or so. I did however locate issues 5, 8, and 9 in the regular back stock. They're in really good shape, and I got them for a good price since they were having a half off sale.

Namor: Just one issue this time, issue 34 of the second series. Almost done with this one too.

New Stuff

Martian Manhunter: I don't collect this character, since his appearances are almost all in expensive issues of Dectective or JLA, but I found most of the late 90's Ostrander run of Martian Manhunter in the quarter bin. I know Frank over at Idol-Head dislikes this series, but I figured I would give it a shot, sinceI like ol' J'onn, and he came cheap enough!

Sword of the Atom: I like Ray Palmer, and I found the last issue of his mini series in the bin. Now I just need to find the rest of them!

Random Stuff

Supergirl: I randomly found the issue of Supergirl (#10) which guest stars none other than Prez! This confirms that Prez was somehow President of the United States in DV mainstream DC universe. Should make for a good read!

OHOTMU: Book of the Dead. Sounds like fun!

Flaming Carrot Comics #26: When a cover advertises Zombies, Umpires, Turtles, and Fools, you kno it must be fun!

Tom Strong: Tom Strong is a good series, and I found 3 issues for a quarter each. No brainer folks!

All in all, a good run. I'm especially excited about the Supergirl issue (more Prez!) and the big chunk of Martian Manhunter I have waiting for me.


Admin Note: I apologize for sparse posting schedule last week. Somehow some bad Chinese food got past the Arrow-food tasters, and yours truly was struck down with super food poisoning!

No comments: