Monday, March 31, 2008

Acquisitions: Quarter Bin Bonanza, part Deux

Quarter Bin Bonanza, Part Deux!

I woke up with a massive headache this morning (don't worry, the story gets relevant soon) and called in sick to work. After popping a few Excedrin and laying down for a few hours, I managed to get rid of it. Since there were still a few hours left before rush hour, I figured I might as well take advantage of it. I headed up to the Lawrenceville location of Galactic Quest (I went on my previous quarter bin bonanza at their Buford location). They were still in the process of moving into a new location, so I couldn't go through their full selection of quarter bins, but I did pick up a few things nonetheless.

Doctor Strange: I found one issue of the second series (#6) in their regular back issue stock, but nothing in the quarter bins. There were a few issues of the Sorcerer Supreme series, but I already owned them.

Namor: As I was searching their regular back issue stock, I came across a ton of the mid-90's era Namor books. I already own most of those from an Ebay lot a while back, but I figured I would try to fill in the holes. I got issues 33, 35, 38, 44, 45, 53, and 54, plus issue 47 of the Silver Age Sub-Mariner series. It was kinda beat up, but they only wanted $2 for it. If I find a better copy later, I'm not out much.

Firestorm: I picked up a few early issues of the second, non-DC implosion series, again from the regular back issues. Nothing in the quarter bins for poor ol' Stormy.

Defenders: I found a few later issues (140, 135, 138, 145, 147) in the quarter bins, but none of the early stuff I really wanted. I guess I'll have to break down and pay real prices for them at some point. I got so excited about finding anything at all that I accidentally picked up 2 copies of issue 140. Whoops.

Moon Knight: I found issue 60 of the Marc Spector series. I found out when I got home that that was the last one, so at least I have the very end of the series now.

Random stuff: I found several more issues of Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld. I got 6, 7, and 12 of the first series, and 2, 4, 12, 14, and 15 of the second. I found the special they released to go along with the second volume, but I thought it was something else and ended up leaving it behind. Oh well I doubt anyone else will get it before I go back...

There were also a few issues of The Legion of Super-Heroes from the late 70's mixed in with everything else. I'm not a huge Legion fan, but I like them well enough. For a quarter each, I saw no reason to leave them. The store also had 2 issues of the Marvel Doctor Who series from the early 80's. They were cheap, so I couldn't pass them up. Maybe I'll review them on a slow Ollie Watch week.

As for Green Arrow...well, they had one issue of the Grell era (#83) in regular stock, but nothing in the quarter bins. I did find most (1,2 and 4) of the Black Canary mini-series DC put out in the early 90's. Hopefully I can find the last issue one of these days.

Have you ever noticed that you almost always find most of a mini series in discount bins? I guess other people pick over them before you get there, but still, one of these days I'd like to get the whole thing and not have to raid other bins.

That's all for now folks. That shop is still in transition, and the owner assured me that once they get organized they have a ton more quarter bins to display. I plan to make that place my main site for Free Comic Book day (if I don't go visit Luke, that is) so I'll probably search the rest of them then.

No comments: