Monday, April 7, 2008

Acquisitions: Dollar Bin Blowout

I took some time this weekend to travel a few towns over to see my family. While I was there, I decided to check out my childhood comic book shop, The Book Exchange. I didn't have any ideas when I went over there, I just wanted to see how the place was doing. Honestly, things didn't look so good, but they did have about a dozen or so discount bins, all at $1.

I looked around a bit, and didn't find anything interesting...until I got to the G's. I found an absolutely stunning run of Green Arrow vol.2. At a dollar a piece, the sheer amount they had hurt the pocketbook, but I didn't want to risk leaving it for one of the other 3 Green Arrow mega-fans out there.

All in all, I got 37 issues of Green Arrow: 12, 13, 15, 16, 24, 26-27, 31-33, 40-43, 45-46, 48, 50, 53-54, 59, 60-61, 65, 68-69, 74, 76-77, 103, 113, 117-118, 128, 134, and 136.

That filled in some pretty big holes in my collection, but since I didn't own many of those issues to begin with, I still have quite a ways to go. It does mean that I have most of the earlier issues, so at least I can begin reading and get a few stories under my belt before the holes stop me. I'm one of those people who won't read back issues unless I've got a good chunk to go through. I find that if I read random issues here and there I get really confused and don't enjoy it as much

While I was at it, I also managed to find the first two issues of Strike Force: Morituri, which I read over the weekend and really enjoyed. I really can't laud that book enough. There was also a random issue of Justice League: Europe. They had more, but for some reason I didn't include that series when I transferred my list from paper to Excel (something I've since corrected).

This will almost certainly be my last major acquisition until Free Comic Book Day (May 3rd), when I'll hit the quarter bins at Galactic Quest, hard!

2 comments:

Rick L. Phillips said...

Glad you were able to get so many for your collection. Usually when I have a find like that I only have $5 on me meaning with tax I can only get 4 books. However, with prices these days that is 3 more then if I bought brand new books.

Luke said...

Holy crap, dude! Sweet deal! This reminds me of when we went to the Book Exchange that one year for FCBD and I bought all those dolla-dolla-bin-y'all issues of Iron Man. Way to go!